Thursday, October 30, 2008

Poor Kitty

There was this cat that started coming into our house (my hostel unit, that is). We lived on the sixth floor, so it came in through the balcony, coming from next door. We never really know whose cat it is or whether it even has an owner. IT is actually a she, white and has red eyes in the dark. Xiao Lu er said that she's an old cat. Though I dislike cats, I can see that she's really beautiful with her white fur and slanted eyes.

The first time she came inside, Xiao Lu er was ecstatic. The second time, the cat was fed. Xiao Lu er purposely bought cat food for her. For the past week, the cat has been a nuisance for me, especially when it is just me and her in the house. I avoided her as much as possible. Thank God she never leapt at me, I guess she's too lofty to do something like that. There was this one time when I came back bearing food. When I put my food down on the table, that freaking cat jumped on the table, sniffing my way. I quickly swiped the food into my arms and put a humongous distance between us. In panic, I threw a piece of bread on the floor. And when her attention was elsewhere, I ran to my room.

Though I don't like the cat, I never really did resent her presence, so long as it's not just the two of us.

Something happened to the cat today. I was sleeping when it happened. Xiao Lu er came back and the cat was by the door. Suddenly, strange gurgling noises emitted from the cat and it vomitted on the floor. Xiao Lu er was freaked when the cat came after her, puke still falling from her mouth. She ran out the door with it hot on her heels. I don't really know what happened next, but someone from next door came to carry the cat off. Though the cat always appeared from next door, even those people did not know where she came from. I was SO lucky to be sleeping when they cleaned up the mess that cat made. Yes, they cleaned up it's puke. But then again, I have seen something worse before that my dog made.

Anyway, after the floor was cleaned and everything, the cat appeared once more on the balcony. She couldn't come in coz the glass door was closed. It kept mewing outside. Xiao Lu er was too scared over what happened to like the cat anymore.

I dount the cat will get the chance to come into the house anymore. For that, I'm grateful. But then again, pity the cat. Everyone loved it when it was clean and normal. At the first sign of trouble, people just dumped her and won't even touch her again. This kind of attitude pisses me off at times. One thing about pets is that if you want to treat it good, go all the way. They don't understand when the affection just stopped.

I was a lousy pet owner. I never want to have pets again, unless I know I am able to commit myself to it.

7 comments:

Jaryn said...

pets are cute! But im not an animal-lover..im scared of them licking me, lol!
But there was once my fren n i saved a cat from being "murdered" by some stray dogs! it felt good. My fren brought the cat back to his house!

(my fren did all the heroics act actually, i was just screaming away in the car)

1PluS1=2 said...

awww... i pity that cat... y we could only see it when its in good appearance.. and when it doesnt... we just 'shoo' it away.. ever think that its our food that makes them puke? or natural occurance where they lick off their fur and they need to vomit it out after sometime? my cat does... just clean up n its back to normal isnt it.. whats dere to freak out about? i strongly agree with u quin... no offence.. but that kinda attitude is a no no...

CL said...

i personally prefer kittens than cats because as they grow, they become more vicious! only stray cats probably. take for example, in my campus cafeteria, the cats will jump on the table out of nowhere when u're in the middle of enjoying ur lunch! scary i tell ya. And after u leave the place, they'll start licking ur spoons and plates. Eeew. Not that I hate them, in fact, I do not like stray animals. AT ALL! sorry for sounding so cruel towards animal. hence explaining why i don't have pets of any kind. :P

kangrui said...

i never liked cats. they look a tad bit scary to me. and they just seemed so arrogant all the time. no offense, but i am more of a dog person. hee..

wow! its nice to know that we have such a close knit network of bloggers from high school here! =)

Quin said...

jaryn: ooh... it's so nice knowing u have saved a life even if it's a cat. tho u were just screaming in a car, at least u were there for something and not just closed one eye and then walked past.

kar yee: ah.. a compassionate comment from a cat lover. i understand ur dissatisfaction over people like that. last time, my dog used to puke too, coz of the hairball like u mentioned. but i think that cat made a really huge mess.. glad i was not there to witness it tho.

chia li: haha... jumping cats freaked me too.

rui: yep! a dog lover here too, but like i said, unless i'm sure i can commit myself to loving that dog, i won't ever have one again.

i totally agree that it's fun we can all share our thoughts here as bloggers.. in a way i know more about u guys now compared to last time in secondary. a good feeling! :)

farahrozhan said...

I shamefully admit that I fall prey to this brand of human being you hate. It's like how people only want to play with happy smiling giggly babies - and not when they're cranky or pooping.


But, but, after they're clean from vomit and poop (my cats, that is) I let them back in.


So you're only half-pissed at me, maybe? .____.

Quin said...

it's actually people who played with them when they are clean, but dropped them quick at the first sign of trouble (eg it's fun feeding them until u have to clean up their puke).

pissed at you? whatever for? i'm sure u still love ur cats puke and all..

ps: are we discussing vomit here with a little too much of enthusiasm? lol~