Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Movie Review: Jodhaa Akbhar



When I was doing my research for which historical queens to feature in my packaging, I came a cross this Bollywood movie. It is a historical depiction of a Muslim Mughal Emperor who is to marry a Hindu Rajput Princess. Back then, it was a big controversy for a muslim to marry a hindu, especially for the emperor. It is a marriage of alliance. Hritik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai starred in the roles of the Emperor and Princess respectively.

My lecturer told me to do a research on Jodhaa Akhbar for it is reputed that she contributes a lot to her husband's kingdom. Thankfully I really did dig further, and only then did I find out that this story is largely mythical. The movie itself is like the typical Bollywood romance and didn't exactly touch a lot on the historical aspect.

I love Hritik Roshan. He's so good looking. I especially enjoyed watching him in this movie. Another thing I loved are the costumes and posters. Just look at the costume Aishwarya Rai is wearing. It's so elaborate and detailed. The posters are designed very attractively. I especially love the colours and how dramatic everything looked.

The movie was four hour long. I watched it in a span of two weeks. I watched one vcd a day, taking long breaks in between. I guess this is one of the problem of the movie. There is no rush for me to get back to it quickly. Nevertheless, I truly enjoyed the attraction between this two main characters.

Besides the relationship between the emperor and princess, there is really nothing much worth noting in this movie. The way the emperor being depicted was too ideal. I guess he is honourable to a point where it is a bit hard to swallow.

In terms of Bollywood film, this is certainly not one of the best. But it definitely is a good eye candy to feast upon Hritik Roshan. Haha...


p.s.: Hooi Fong, if you're reading this, I know you're itching to borrow the VCD, hehe..

No comments: