Monday, October 06, 2008

Drama Review: I'm Sorry I Love You


First off, I want to say this to Tze Yee, "I'm sorry, I love you."

I'm sorry is because for doubting you everytime when you said that this drama is very good. I love you for giving me this drama to watch.
Oh man, this drama is so good! Maybe on the outside, it seemed like just any Korean tear jerker with the supporting actor being better looking than the lead. But just being quarter of the way into it, I was already entranced by the storyline and the lead actor, So Ji Sup. Haha.. me knowing the name of a Korean actor is a big lead into how much I love that person. The only other actor whose name I bothered remembering was Kwong Sang Wu (correct spelling, I think), whom I was introduced to in Stairway to Heaven, another of my favourite Korean drama.
This was my third attempt in watching this. The first time I watched like maybe five minutes and felt the chinese sub was too tiring to follow, so I gave up. The second time, I watched the ten minutes in the beginning, couldn't figure out what the story was about, then gave up. The third time, I finished the first episode, thought it was nothing special and didn't like the Australia setting that much. To get an idea on the story, I searched for it online. Got to Wikipedia and read the whole story plus ending. You can say that the ending was spoilt for me but it didn't detract any of the drama's appeal.
So, a very basic understanding of the story. Please bear in mind that the spelling for the names are not totally correct. The lead, was Mu Hyeok, or something like that, a guy who was abandoned as a baby. He went into a foster family in Australia but then ran away from that place. From then on, he sort of grew up into a thug on the streets, cheating tourists and doing all sorts of low stuff. In episode one, he met this girl, Yin Chai (haha, mandarin pin yin), who was the assistant to a Korean singer, Yun (this have to be right!). She and Yun were childhood friends and she had fallen in love with him without him knowing. Anyway, something happened to Yin Chai and Mu Hyeok helped her. This set the introduction of the two leads.
Mu Hyeok had a girlfriend who was getting married to a rich man. At her wedding, the rich man's enemy ordered sent an assassin. Amidst the gun fire, to save his girlfriend, Mu Hyeok shielded her and got shot in the head. He was lucky to survive but a bullet was lodged in his brain. It was told that at the most, he had a year to live. Driven by remorse, his girlfriend gave him money and asked him to return to Korea to look for his brith mother and not just die on the streets.
Upon returning to Korea, he found out that his birth mother was not a poor woman forced to abandon him as a baby. His mother was actually a wealthy woman and has a singer son, who was Yun. Mu Hyeok got very bitter at this discovery and plotted to revenge against this woman who was his mother.
That is the basis of the story.
The pace might be slow but you just don't get bored watching it. So Ji Sup was a very good actor, able to cry at a whim. I think this is probably one of the requirements for Korean actors, to cry. But the thing that made me really admire him was the energy he portrayed in those explosive scenes. When he was angry or hurt, you can actually feel it along with him.
I simply love this movie. I only did cry a bit at the last part. In the end, all the characters simply endeared you to them. This was another worthy thing to note. Some of the charcters may seem stereotypical at first but as the story evolved, you see their change and that made the story richer.
Love, love, love this movie! One of the reasonsthat deterred me from my assignments. :P
p.s: To Hooi Fong, you remembered when I asked you if this drama was good in MSN? Though you haven't watched it you commented that So Ji Sup was not good looking. I guess this was one of the reasons you haven't watch this? Well, he might not be handsome, but he is certainly attractive!! Watch this, watch this, and I dare you to disagree with me, haha...

6 comments:

CL said...

kok quin!
i know this korean drama!
i watched it on 8tv that day and decided not to continue watching becos of 2 reasons:
i) no good looking actors
ii) i'm afraid i'll get addicted cos i'll be missing the screening time on weekdays.
aww...now that u've summarised it, i feel like watching even more!! :)

Quin said...

haha.. got good looking actor wat.. the very fair looking supporting actor, i happened to find him very cute. just that after watching longer i like the lead more.

if u missed the drama on 8tv, i can lend u my hard disk end of the yr and u can copy it.

all in the name of sharing good drama, lol!

CL said...

yup. no problem! then we shall meet up sometime in the end of the year! i'll be free from finals by then! heheh

kangrui said...

hmm.. i want also!! bring your hard disk back at the end of the year!!

Quin said...

chia li, meeting up is hard to avoid end of the yr. i think we will hvae tonnes of gatherings.

as for rui, u only commented to get a hand on my hard disk! sheesh..

kangrui said...

haha~