Thursday, October 16, 2008

Major

I used to harbour so much hope on this word. Before I came here, I got myself all excited just thinking about when the time comes for me to make the decision. Major.

Which major to choose.

There was a briefing today on the majors available for us when we go to semester five next year. There are two, advertising or multimedia. It didn't matter what they say. The only think I have truly learnt for all my time here is this: all fancy-pancy promises are rubbish. In the end, I will be better off making decisions based on my own judgement rather than those made up dreams and empty promises they gave us.

This is basically the summary of what they told us in the briefing.

Advertising
The important thing here is selling idea. Everything you do here is aimed at the ultimate objective: selling. The minor here will be marketing. As far as I am concerned, the pro is that this seemed to be an exciting field and there are all kinds of possibilities to the things I can pick up from here. The con is that the principal lecturer is a guy who looked as if he just graduated from the university. He stressed on how important verbal communication is but was a mess when he briefed us on this. I remembered seeing this man when he took over the class last semester from a lecturer who was absent. I thought he was new then because he looked nervous and actually stuttered when he addressed the class. This from a man who is supposed to be the head of advertising.

Multimedia
The gist of multimedia is that we will be learning an array of softwares that deals with web design, interactive and animation. We will no longer do 2D designing but instead expand our abilities to 3D. The principal lecturer who briefed us was better, he looked as if he knew what he was doing. I might be wrong, but after two years here, you can't blame me for not having the confidence that they will have capable people to teach all these designing softwares.

So let us compare this two majors:

Pros
Advertising will teach me things I can never learn on my own.
Multimedia will give me the opportunity to learn things I am dying to learn.

Advertising seemed to be able to fetch more money.
Multimedia have two tempting majors which are animation and web tech.

Advertising is all about ideas generation.
Multimedia is all about jamming all cool elements together to create one ultra-cool design.

Cons
Advertising comes with a lousy principal lecturer.
Multimedia's promise of really teaching us all those softwares is dim.

Advertising comes with a boring minor which is marketing.
Multimedia involves softwares that I can learn on my own, so why do I need to major in it?


As of now, I'm leaning more heavily towards advertising. Maybe I will change my mind. Maybe not. As of now, this is really the least of my worries.

6 comments:

kangrui said...

ahh.. tough choice ahead, eh? its true that the lecturer makes a lot of difference, at the end of the day.

oh, believe me, i sneaked into one of my friend's marketing lectures and it was really interesting! the lecture was very interactive and their projects sounded really interesting!

all the best, my friend!

Quin said...

well.. urs nus and mine's lkw. call me a pessimist, but when it comes to lkw lecturers i dun trust them to be capable. i have only come across very good ones a few times, and i dun think lady luck will be so nice in the future?

adri-enne said...

personally, marketing is the art of selling. to me, it's not something you can learn just by theories. It involves natural talent. I'd rather study art stuff in an art school. If my work is good, they'll sell themselves.

3-D animation. I saw some art academy works and maybe cos I kept comparing them with pixar and disney - I think they look so.. erm. I dont like it. And I know it ain't easy.

I'd go for advertising if I were you. And I still am staring at your barbie posters. Love them.

I need to think about my major also. Sigh.

Quin said...

one really solid reason that is keeping from deciding on ad is that i can't sell. i suck in selling.

*huge smile* i'm glad u really like them! which major will that be?

kangrui said...

i doubt so, adryn. a good piece of art doesn't just sell itself. and a good marketer can practically sell anything. they have the ability to make you say yes, even though you know very well that you can be very well making a very wrong decision.

Quin said...

this reminds me of something my lecturer said, "good design will never sell a bad product." they can make you say yes the first time, what about the second, when the product's real bad?