Saturday, October 04, 2008

Movie Review: Mamma Mia!


My Gosh!
I haven't watch such a happy movie in a very, very long time. What would have made the experience even better will be watching this with fellow tc09ers.
Guys, if you're reading this post, you would have remembered the late night chat we had on MSN. It was such a rare thing for all of us to gather online at the same time (minus Ms. Ong, who had her TGIF and couldn't be bothered with us). I had such fun talking about trivial stuff like make ups, catching up on songs and movies, best of all, drilling you-know-who on her new love. Rui must be ecstatic to hand over the hot seat to the poor new victim. Consider yourself lucky, you-know-who, I doubt we gave it our all that night. Haha..
I guess watching the movie after having the virtual gathering was what made me connect to the movie so much.
Okay, a brief background update on this. I think, without a doubt, many will recognize this as the on-screen reproduction on the famous broadway hit. Yes, go into the cinema expecting them to break out into songs and dances, so if you're caught unaware, please stop the groanings that will spoil the movie for other musical lovers, such as your faithful here. The movie began with a girl, Sophie, sending out three letters to three different men who might be her father. She wanted to meet them to find out who her real father is so that he can give her away on her wedding. This gave a shock to her mother Donna, who didn't expect three of her past lovers appear at her doorstep, or goat house, if you're very particular about the details. This is a movie on relationships and loves. Love between a mother and daughter, between age old friends and lovers.
I love this movie. Prior to it, I read from Kookie Jar that Pierce Brosnan couldn't sing to save his life. Evelyn confirmed by saying though he didn't neccessarily have the voice, he sure do have the Bond charisma to make up for. It came as a no wonder that I was dreading the moment Pierce Brosnan will open his mouth to sing. And when it came, though nothing to go excited about, I thought it was okay. Not very, very bad. But not bad. And he did look good on screen.
Evelyn also warned me that one will have the tendency to sing along in the movie for the songs are recognizable. Spot on, Eve! I wanted to sing out loud so much, thanks to the English subtitles at the bottom that to me, made the big screen seemed like karaoke in Red Box.
Love the songs. Love, love, love the songs. Though the way those back ups seemed to crop out and the dancing looked corny, the songs were the best!
The whole movie was so beautiful. The location, the seas, and rocky cliffs. The location they chose where to hold the wedding was so breath taking and romantic. It made me day dreamed that if I were to marry one day, I'd like a ceremony at just such a place. And then I thought of all the old aunties and uncles I had to invite and doubted they could make the climb up. Oh, well.
As mentioned, this movie was made so much better for it reminded me of the friendships back home. Sophie herself had two best friends who came especially for her wedding. Her mom, Donna, had also two old best friends who she asked to come for the wedding. The way they reunited and talked about the past and the easy caramaderie made me miss my friends back home so much! All those gigglings, teasings and crazy singing out loud remind me of you girls.
Hooi Fong, Adrienne, Kang Rui, Evelyn and Chia Yinn (ms ong, when i said singing out loud, i meant you). Yes. You girls.
Another thing that moved me was the love between mother and daughter. This reminded me of my mom. Dank... I'm too home sicked for my own good.
I laughed from the beginning till the end. I enjoyed every corny dance, sang along in my mind to every song, feast my eyes on every setting and left the cinema with a warm feeling despite the cold in the cinema.
Is this movie recommended? You bet it is!
p.s: Xiao Lu er watched this with me. She thought the whole thing was boring. I guess this is another reason why I miss the company I missed. :)

3 comments:

adri-enne said...

awhhh now i wanna watch it too! And that last line.. made me miss you a lot. There's just no real replacements for you guys. really.

Quin said...

haha.. i've been dragging my housemate to two movies that she had no interest in. have been feeling a little guilty, might have to let her choose the next one to watch.

virtual hugs for now, adrienne. until next year!!

kangrui said...

now, i feel like watching it too.. sigh~

aww.. miss you loads too, quin!
*hugs*