Thursday, November 06, 2008

Barbie Packaging: From All Sides

It's over. Finished. Yep. And it has cost me a fortune to get all of it printed. Not only once, not twice, but thrice. And yet, the result was far from satisfying. Or so I thought at that time.

There were times when I felt like giving up. Times when I couldn't get the cloth to mold properly on the Barbies; when I do not know how to look for the proper materials to make the packaging; when I realize that the height of the glass was shorter that I thought; when I have constructed the box and saw how it broke at the sides and the glass package would not fit; when even after the second printing, mistakes still occur; even when the third time and yet the box still looked flimsy; when people around me frustrates me so and diverted my focus; when I see how my project might not be up to par at all.

There were also times when I thrived in those moments and it spurred me on. That time when I brainstormed Eve's and CY's brains for a concept; the excitement when I finally got hold of what I wanted to do; that time when I see how beautiful the Barbies looked; when I see that the glass packaging might worked after all; when people I care about stood by me and said to hell to those ****ers; the time when I realized that the best plan is having no plan.

This is how much I have spent:
Barbie doll x 3 : rm 59
Beads: rm 11
Kamdar cloths: rm 64.20
Fishing line + sewing kit + tweezer: rm 11.20
Glitters: rm 13.60
Trinkets: rm 44.50
Glass Vases x 3: rm 51
Taxi: rm 25
Printing 1: rm 190
Printing 2: rm 85
Printing 3: rm 85
Printing of promotional items: rm 81
Additional printing: rm 20
Styrofoams + boards + double sided tapes: rm ??

Total: rm 740.50 ++

There are some things I bought that can be used again for other stuff. So the total is around there. There is no final project, but I think what I've spent is sufficient for two projects. A lot of mistakes have been made here. I have also spent unneccessarily. Hopefully I can do better the next time.


This is the dumpster that my room has become.


What you can see here are my box packagings in the plastic bag, my three glass packagings, souvenir box, that rolled up paper there are my printed final photography pictures and all other craps.
Top view.
Front view.

Bottom view.



Side view.

Back view.


Calendar.

Calendar.
Calendar.

An array of flyers and coasters. (haha.. flying coaster??)

Coasters and booklet.

Flyers. You can see a lot of repetition. I wanna believe it's to present a unified image of the whole project rather an excuse that I was getting lazy.

The fans. There are three. Can you see?


All promotional items plus the souvenir box. Love that box!!


My complete packaging!!

I have finished most of this prject well before the dateline. However, there are some stuff that I held off coz I don't have a plan for it. Take for example the souvenir box. I only had a basic idea on what it's gonna look like. I doodled some nonsense on a piece of paper, and got my lect to approve it. Then, I printed on a whole piece of A1 the wrapping paper to make the box. I only finished that box two days ago. No proper plan, but it turned out to be the best thing out of this whole project. The box worked! The foldings were good, the lines neat. It looked good inside out. Unlike the three main packagings which many flaws are obvious if you looked closer.
It is done. The major project for this sem is done. All is left is the presentation on Friday. I always believe that I know my work the best therefore there should not be fear no matter what the lects asked. But this time around, I know that my understanding of this is not as wholesome as I wanted it to be.
Whatever. We'll see when the day comes.

12 comments:

CL said...

NICE!!! barbies! i love them!!! haha. ok fine. used to. but i like to see the barbies u made!!! so pretty and unique!! btw, can i have the calendar and the white fan pls? :))))

CL said...

oh, did i not mention da coasters as well? hehe. all the best for ur presentation!

Quin said...

hey~ thanks for the support! if i can get them back, u can have the fan. hehe..

kangrui said...

beautiful work!

the barbies itself were quite cheap, eh? i expected it to be so so much more expensive! i like how the designs seems consistent, not really repetition like u mentioned. isnt it better that way? it would be easier to recognise that they are from the same line of product. thought the calendar looks good too!

were those like, drinking glasses? hmm.. was quite surprised when i saw it..

all the best for the presentation!

Shannel Ooi said...

KOK QUIN, you are SO GOOD! All of them looks so BEAUTIFUL!! Barbies.. Love them so much. Great designs! You are so creative.

Quin said...

rui, the glasses are actually vases. why are u surprised? yep, the dolls are cheap coz i bought the cheapest ones from tesco. thanks for the comment.

as for suk qian, i love ur comments on my works. i can listen to them all day.. haha.. thank you!

Yang Yang said...

nice one quinn, especially the souvenir gift! Well done!

mie said...

i like ur calendar best... can i have 1 too... hehehe... u turn something that u get in cheap price into something so classy... wow...

Quin said...

y2: hey, thanks! but my name is spelled with a single "N", heee..

jamie: thanks jamie!! the packagings are best viewed from far, far, far away...

chiayinn said...

1

chiayinn said...

Wow... great work Kq... Great work.

I like the packaging best. The boxes. I like the side view of the box a lot... And the color code. Absolutely fantastic. It looked so cool, contemporary and real. The whole packaging looked so professional I feel.

But one thing tho... somehow I think that ur BArbies and the promotional items that u prepared didnt really matched that well. Somehow it just doesnt generate that feel..

I dunno how to say it but its just something. U know those are suppose to be legendary imperious ladies. They are supposed to be grand. But the packagings looked more contemporary than it shud I feel. I hope u are not offended by my comments. But, u know like the one u showed on sesame street. The whole idea matched one another. It looks cartoonish and vibrant all the way. I just felt so happy and it remimded me of the times when I am small when i look at it.

Ur packagings and promotional items are all dark colors very mysterious and cool like. UR calendars looked very real. Ur Barbies clothing have a softer color and its BArbie. So it kinda i dunno didnt match i feel...

Okay i better not say much. But overall, seriously I think u did a great job. Absolutely love the whole color code of the packaging..
And pardon me for my unknowledgeable comments..

Quin said...

aww... ong chia yinn, i never thought i'd hear u say "pardon me for my unknowledgeable comments"!!

there's a lot of truth in ur words. and i really appreciate that honest comment. it's comments like this that can make me know what's wrong in my design so that i can avoid making the same mistake. i'm far from being a professional, and i don't think that my designs are so flawless to the point i can't take some honest feedbacks.

the thing u said about my dolls and the packaging not really compatible, well, it's something that occured to me too, very early during the whole process. part of my concept is how the values of such powerful women can be integrated into the modern world, therefore the contemporary design of the box and the grandeur of the costumes.

but after doing the design, i know that no matter how well i phrased those words, if it doesn't match, it doesn't match. i guess it's one aspect of my design that i wished the lect will not take notice of.

thanks again for the feedback!