Friday, March 06, 2009

Regret

Let's talk about regrets.

Have you watched 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'? It is a movie where a baby was born an old man, and as he ages, he becomes younger. For normal people like us, we are born young and ages forward (duh~). As we get older, there will be times when we look back and see the things we have not done due to the absence of courage or opportunity (or whatever else). This is regret. But for Benjamin Button, earlier in his life, there is a lot of things he cannot do because he is old. When he ages backward, he gains the ability to do the things that he missed out when he was older physically. He gets the chance to do things over and avoids regrets, a case which people like us, can only look on in envy.

When we become old, we regret about the things that we should have done. There is no turning back, just like how there is no turning back time.

There was one moment when I thought of this that I felt a shudder of fear. Will there be a time in the future, when I look back at today, and regret about the things that I should have done. Will there be a day in the future of begrudging myself for not really living in my prime, and merely see it pass. I stand here now in the present, hoping like hell, I have truly lived my life.

Have I? Have you?

2 comments:

Lim Yueh Yih said...

"Will there be a day in the future of begrudging myself for not really living in my prime, and merely see it pass. I stand here now in the present, hoping like hell, I have truly lived my life."

well, do what you can today, do it at your best... even if someday, when you feel like "I could've done better back then", you'll find that at least you tried your best.
I've thought of times b4 when I really did try my best, and when i could, but didn't. Well, when I didn't, I regret. Else, I'm just glad that I really did try!

Quin said...

do my best, do my best.... give it all!!! i sometimes wondered if i even know what my best is...