Saturday, September 26, 2009

Movies: You've Got Mail

I do not remember the last time I watched a romantic comedy and went 'awwww...... oh my God...' when the two leads finally get together in the end. I have not watched 'You've Got Mail' in ages. This is absolutely one of my favs and I am glad to be reminded why.



They don't make romantic comedies like this anymore. Let's take some recent ones shown as examples. 'Ugly Truth' concentrated too much on the sex jokes to remember that it's supposed to be romantic too. 'The Proposal' had two leads which I think have zero chemistry between them, and the whole feel of the movie just fell flat. 'Ghosts of Girlfriend Past' had some of it all, good leads, nice story, funny jokes, but the thing is, it's nowhere near memorable.

Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks together is simply too good. There's this scene in the movie when Tom Hanks is supposed to finally meet Meg Ryan in a coffeeshop. But he stood her up upon realizing she's the girl he has been chatting online with. I used to think the reason for that is he got disappointed coz the girl he liked turned out to be the one he's always fighting with everytime they met. But watching this again after so long, I had a different point of view. He didn't back off coz he's disappointed in her. He backed off, coz he's afraid that she's going to be disappointed in knowing he is the online guy.

Maybe I was too young to realize all the little subtleties in the movie. But I am certainly enjoying and appreciating them now.

3 comments:

adrienne said...

Ahh another good movie I missed out. I'm writing a list, making sure I watch them someday. Last movies I saw was Star Trek and Angels & Demon.

60% done with report.

kangrui said...

Ahh, same here, Adryn. One of those movies that goes into my to-watch-movie-list.

Love you, Quin! =)

neilwasabi said...

Never watch before, but might gonna give it a try since u say it's nice. Btw, try Coraline if u haven't. It's nice and since u like Nightmare Before Christmas (as u used to tell me in foundation year), u might gonna like it.