Monday, September 14, 2009

The Ice Cream Hunt

I do not know why, but recently I had this insatiable ice cream craving. One of the agendas for the Singapore trip was to eat ice cream. Not as a dessert, not as something to do whiling the time away, but as a SERIOUS BUSINESS. That's why I stuffed myself and nearly had an overdose of ice cream. Nearly. But not really.

Here, I present to you, the TOP 5 ice creams I had in Singapore:

WARM UP: ROAD SIDE ICE CREAM - COCONUT, CHOCOLATE, CORN, STRAWBERRY



All for the price of one dollar. Awesome, yes??

#5: TURKISH ICE CREAM - PISTACHIO



It tasted kind of weird at first coz pistachio was not a stable flavour of mine. Though full with nuts, the pistachio flavour was not strong enough. Maybe it's part of its Turkish ice cream characteristics, the texture of the ice cream was thicker and slightly different from normal.

#4: BEN & JERRY'S - STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE AND CHOC SOMETHING





I asked Rui, why is it not "Tom & Jerry"? She said, the founders are really these two guys, one named Ben and the other named Jerry. Oh.

I had the strawberry cheesecake. It was actually alright but not the best I had. The strawberries were not big chunks like the ones in Baskin. The cheese cake bits were a little distracting and didn't blend in as well with the strawberry.

I had a little of Rui's choc. VERY nice~ It's bitter enough without being overly sweet.

#3: UDDERS - BAILEY'S & BOURBON





When I surfed their site, I saw the list of flavours. The moment I read Bailey's, I knew what I wanted. And got it, I did. It's very rare to find alcoholic ice creams here. At the most, there's Rum Raisin, which I love. The alcohol in the ice cream was very strong. For a non-drinker like myself, my face went red and flush from it. But no worries, we still walked a straight line after that.



#2: AZABU SABO HOKKAIDO ICE CREAM - BLACK SESAME



So good. The moment a spoonful went into my mouth, it was just too flavourful for words. It's surprising how much of a punch this unassuming flavour could pack. Very smooth, very flavourful, and not overly sweet. I could finish a tub just like that.

#1: MOVENPICK ICE CREAM - CARAMELITA



It's the most beautiful flavour thus the most beautiful name. It might seem like something common, caramel ice cream with caramel bits. But come on! Who on earth could resist caramel? I sure as hell could not!

It's sweet, just like how caramel should be. But the truth behind its excellence lie in the bits of caramel. Every single bite of the grainy bits was like exploding a little universe of bliss in my mouth.

One scoop of this was just perfect.




It had been a very good hunt. If I intend to this again, I'll make sure I have more than this. But mean while, just let me rest and recover first.

4 comments:

neilwasabi said...

I kinda miss Singapore where I lived 3 years before I back to M'sia......

Anyway, speaking of ice cream, Desa here is hot and dusty due to the highway construction.

Babbles said...

i'm telan-ing my own saliva while reading how u describe the ice cream.. drrooolsss..
when did u go to s'pore?

Quin said...

nie gel: u lived in spore before?? haih.. lucky i'm not back there. =P

judy: went during the last weekend! awesome ice creams~

neilwasabi said...

...... I hate desa, but no choice, cyber is even worse.