Saturday, January 09, 2010

Children


I am only 23 (this year) and yet I do feel old. Old not in the sense of physical age, but the feeling of how far the gap between now and my childhood has grown. Having kids running around at home serves as a reality check once in a while. They grow up a little more every day, slowly advancing to different phases in their lives.

Sydney's in Standard One this year. The picture above was taken on her first day of school. Of all my nieces, she's the one most apparent in her desire to grow up faster. One of the factor could be her seeing the way I am leading my life. She often mentioned things like wanting to grow up, so that she can have her own room, buy her own things and do many things she isn't allowed to since she's still a kid.

Silly girl. I want so much to just hug them to my chest to stop them from growing up. You can be an adult forever. But as a child, you have only that one period, and once it's over, it's over. Adulthood is so over rated.

Standard One is a whole different ball game. This is when real peer pressure starts. This is when parents begin to compare achievements. This is when she will realize for her self, what kind of a person she wants to be. She will learn to like something for a reason, and not just because it is expected of her. This is when she will truly build herself.

I grew up with a very healthy dose of self-esteem. Primary school was when I realised I am very good in studying and was always the girl parents compare their kids to. Primary school was also when I was the most selfish and ignorant brat. If you knew me then and has received multitudes of mistreatment and cold shoulders from me, I am sorry for your misfortune. I think I am better now.

Dear Sydney, be brave. Go and play. Be a kid. And I will try to be a good aunt, forgiving your mishaps and blunders, knowing I have been there and have probably done worse.



When we were waiting in line at Hong Kong Disneyland to meet Mickey, I asked Iris if she was nervous (Iris is Mickey's biggest fan). She answered me this, "Mickey is fake one la. It is some other people."

Sigh... I was disappointed not in her knowing that Mickey's actually a disguise. I was disappointed and sad over her loss of childish innocence.


Kids. Seriously. Slow down...!

2 comments:

mie said...

1st of all, ur niece is so so cute... n Happy Enrollment to her for entering the primary school...
quin, i totally agree with u, the children nowadays grows too fast, and kinda too 'intelligent' for their ages... they are not like us, when we were in std 1, what do we really know?? basically doing crazy crazy stuff... now, even a small little kid can function a HP... haiz... sometimes u can be really proud of that, but at times, it's a pity to them(maybe)... hehehe

Anonymous said...

Hi I'd love to congratulate you for such a great made forum!
Was thinking this is a perfect way to introduce myself!
The only right way gain property it is usually a smart conception to start a savings or investing course of action as early in life as feasible. But don't fear if you have not begun saving your assets until later on in life. With the help of hard work, that is consulting the best investment vehicles for your capital you can slowly but surely increase your funds so that it measures to a sizable amount by the time you hope to retire. Review all of the achievable asset classes from stocks to real estate as investments for your money. A well diversified portfolio of investments in various asset classes will help your money develop throughout the years.

-Christian Sokolowski
[url=http://urwealthy.com]currency conversion [/url]