Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Yaris


This was my very first attempt in advertising class. The assignment was to sell Yaris to what my mother would call YUP-pies (Young Urban Professionals) who are either upgrading from their first car or looking for their first car.

Please click on the image to see the larger version.

The idea of the ad was to draw a comparison between your first Yaris and all the other first things you had in life. Remember how carefully you cared for those items and how they were with you at all times. What were the qualities of those items that deserved such devoted care from you? The answer to that question will be the answer to why Yaris deserved to be your first car.

Erm.. Mr Ken commented that it was a good try. Then in class, he commented that the layout was cluttered, and that I was telling and showing too much. I shouldn't have done so much, should have done less to tease the minds of the consumers. And by the end of it all, he said the ads were boring.

I couldn't completely disagree with him. I see where he was coming from with these comments. I will be the first one to say the layout was boring. Anyway, I took it all in and went home to make another series running along a slightly similar concept.


This was my latest attempt. Click for larger view, please.

Instead of going along how you love all those first things in your life, this time I am saying how you can include the Yaris into the things that you already have. For example, if you're a shoe fanatic, a Yaris deserved to be included into your collection. This is because the kind of care that you give to your collectibles, that kind of devotion is what Yaris deserves to get.

Bleh.... ugh... somehow, the concept didn't seem as strong as the previous one. But I like the layout of this one better. It's cleaner, less cluttered, and... teasing, maybe?

Please do tell me what you think. Tell me if you got my idea. Better still, tell me what the ads said to you.

4 comments:

陈晓凤 said...

i like ur 1st advertising...
the latest attempt also good...nice nice...

kangrui said...

personally i like the first one better. i feel like i can connect to the feeling better and it would attract my attention. i can totally relate to how i took great care of the stuff that i had last time, all 3 of them, mp3, sneakers and phone.

but i guess if u put it that way, the whole idea would sort of just seem to target at people who is buying their first car. its as though, if im buying yaris as my second or third car, there is no reason why i should take good care of it. i understand that you are only implying 'your first yaris', but it seems as though you are implying 'your first ever car'. btw, i dont think it is boring. it is always adverts that are thought provoking and is relevant to me that attracts my attention easily.

about the second one, i dont really get the idea thru the advert. maybe the things that u put their doesnt really remind ppl that they are collectibles? i dont know, just didnt seem that obvious to me.

jia you with ur assignments!! =)

adri-enne said...

I thought I commented on this post. Apparently not.

I wanted to say that I prefer the first ad better too. Something I can understand and appreciate. I can imagine myself seeing it in the pages of the newspaper or on bus stops.

The second ad looks really good too. The simplicity gave it a more professional appeal and focus. The message it gives can be rather ambiguous though. When I first saw it, the first thing that came across my mind was "It deserves to be bought. Worth keeping. Another addition to my collection"

I prefer the first ad better because I really wanted Yaris to be my first car if I can afford it. It's something I decided last 2 years when I saw the car here. It's gonna be the first investment I purchase; not something that I will regard as an addition to a collection. I (heart) the first ad.

Yueh Yih said...

okay..when i see ur 1st ad (I look at pictures 1st b4 I start reading =P), its VERY attractive, but when i see "Yaris" below, =.=" SWEAT.

i think u should've compared yaris to much better-related "first things in life"..
shoes, necklaces, make-up boxes.. err...u know, jz not good enough

ok, i'll be honest with u, this is your most disappointing work to me, compared to all others. (okok, I know how mean I am)

I think u took this more to designing than advertising concept. I wouldn't buy Yaris if i see this ad, did u get my point?

Back to me being so mean, I can be nice to you and keep the critics to myself, but I said it anyway, coz I think u can do way better than this... =P (don hate me~)