Thursday, March 25, 2010

USM Final Year Exhibition

I went back to Penang last weekend to catch two very good friends' final exhibition. They both study in USM doing product design and new media respectively. We are friends made closer from taking up Pendidikan Seni in Form 6. It was with them when I first painted a huge-kick-ass canvas and won third place (my first and only artsy win outside of school), together we slaved over projects and art homework, together we stayed back in school cooped up in the art room raiding the supply room. Good times.


Leng is special in her own unique way, and I mean this in the worst way possible. (LOL!! She'll so kill me if she read this.) I don't know about you, but I think we all have our own rivals to push us to perform better in life. For me, at that time in my life, I've labelled Leng my rival(ask her about me and she'll probably say 'kok-quin-who??'). A-hem, we both do well in art class, the art teacher seemed to always measure the both of us against one another. Surprisingly, we work very well together too. There was this time when we were both in charged of designing stuff for graduation night (back in those days when yours truly have no idea at all how to function Illustrator). We both happy procrastinated to the very last minute, panicked to the core together then finally, fused our brain to hit the deadline on the spot.

Leng is an awesome person who will do well in anything she chose to do. She chose product design, which she ultimately hated, but as you can see in the picture, we were sitting on her design, a shoe chair. And that piece of work's really cool. She was the only one among the graduates there to be specially praised by the dean. Heck, I was one proud friend when I heard that.




Lo and behold Kee Theng. Her work is very conceptual based on the 'secret of life' which is the law of attraction. She alone managed to build up this whole installation almost all on her own, plus spending a bomb. I knew she was under a lot of pressure during this whole period. It was awesome seeing her finally putting everything together and managed to pull through it all.

She might not be the most confident person in the room that day, but she's definitely the bravest to attempt her project. Others in her course are satisfied with doing simple flash for show, but she'll have to go make herself take up such a daunting challenge. In the end, it was all definitely worth it.

Congratulations, girls!!

All these made me think about my own exhibition end of the year. Ugh. Scary thought.

For pictures of other works I've taken that night, check out my Facebook album.

1 comment:

1PluS1=2 said...

CONGRATSSS again!!!! dont care if dey will be seeing this or not.. but i am just so proud of them... both of us gotta strive harder for our fyp d!!