Sunday, May 31, 2009

Woes of Being a Jack

I am not the master of anything.

I can't draw exceptionally well, I can't create magic with photoshop, I can't capture moments with a camera, and I surely can't move anyone to tears with my writing.

But I am, the jack of all trades.

I draw fairly well, I can sketch a portrait of you in under five minutes that bears a slight resemblance, I can handle photoshop to achieve my objectives, I can use Illustrator to trace and make vector art, I can shoot pictures better than some who never attended photography classes, and I can definitely write to make people think I can write.

But being the jack of all trades, simply means, you are never the best at anything, nor is there ever going to be a time when you're standing at the pinnacle of your success. Tinkering in anything and everything, simply means, you have not found your way, THE passion.

I get inspired by great work. I go to a friend's blog and will simply go green with envy by the things he/she is able to do. I go to deviant art, while collecting and faving all those great works out there, I can't help but think, when will the time come when I will be able to create amazing works of art such as these?

There's a saying that success is 99% perspiration and 1% genius/talent.

To me, this simply means I may never create a miracle. But I can start.

And miracle to me means the great artwork I have seen. You might think ego is getting into my head, though I do not deny I have a healthy dose of it. But I know I can do it. I will just have to start. Cultivate what I have now. It may not be much, but it is something.

If I can do fairly well in the things I tinker with, can you imagine what I can do if I concentrate in cultivating only one aspect of art? Oh well, just a thought.

There is also another saying. Do not think about the fears, but what you want.



I want to be extraordinary.

No comments: