Friday, September 12, 2008

Conceptual Book - From Beginning Till End

A lot has gone on since the last time I posted. At my last post, I have just finished illustrating. Now, I have actually finished the layout of the whole book plus printing. Hooray!


Will share here on what I have done so far.

Illustrations
What I have chosen to show on the previous post were not of the right quality. I forgot for web I have to switch the mode to RGB. Those files were in CMYK, that's why the colour were so off.

These are ten illustrations I did for the book. They are The Emperor's New Clothes, The Little Mermaid, Princess on the Pea, The Nightingale, Snow Queen, Little Matchgirl, Red Shoe, Bottleneck, The Staunch Tin Soldier and The Ugly Duckling.

I was regretting my choice to illustrate in the beginning. When I started it, I hated it all the more for it felt as if all I knew was illustration. I wanted to do something different. I have been doing the same thing for many of my major projects since last sem. The result was satisfying for some of them. None of it turned out to be what I visualized it to be. I figured my visualization was too detailed. Getting the details right is something I have yet to learn. Once I have mastered the skill, I hope it will provide a different depth to my skills.

My favourites were the Snow Queen and the Bottleneck. I love the former for the illustration and the latter for the complimenting colours. These two are the ones I look at now and are still able to put a smile to my face. I believe it's the same case for a lot of designers/artist. The value you have for you own artwork will depreciate a little for every single time you look at it. So, for me to be still satisfied at those two, it means they are really something. (big head getting bigger!)

I hate the Matchgirl and the Ugly Duckling. Ugly colours, both of them. I don't want to do them anymore. I am most disapointed over the Little Mermaid. I tried many times, but it didn't turn out the way I want it to be at all.

Layout
I did a three column grid. I kinda like the way the block of text is positioned. The white space is meant to add a touch of elegance into it. I don't know.. I just thought it looked nice. Have any lecturer read my rationale here and my marks can just get flush down the loo.

Overall, my book is 90% text and 10% pictures. What a boring book, I know. But then again, I thought the whole thing looked kinda nice and elegant. The concept I have for the book is that it is a collector's edition. That's why I'm striving for a minimalist posh look, if you get what I mean.

Jacket
This is something which I have yet to get approval from Lecturer. I doubt there will be any problems getting the green light for this, so, here it is! The oh-so-important cover that can be left to rot until the very last minute!

Postcards

Since we are integrating both typo and GD, we are required to do a series of five postcards to promote our book. Not just any postcards, but typography postcards. For my series, I opted to use Andersen's works to promote his own biography. Therefore, in the title "Fairytale of My Life", which is the title for the book, I have modified them using elements found in some of his famous works. Paper
For this assignment, we actually went to a paper company just to buy papers to print on! Not that I am complaining or anything, truthfully, it was a wonderful experience. I never knew there were so many kinds papers! It really opened up possibilities and experimentations for future projects. From now on, printings are not restricted only to card/normal paper and gloss/matte. There are papers like Conqueror micro laid, Curious Collection Metalics and totally smooth satiny paper called Skin. Papers are not retricted only to whites but there are kinds like cream, brilliant white, transluscent, iridescent, gold, pearl and so much more!

Printing
Like always, this was a nerve wrecking process. I couldn't help but feel that all my weeks of hardwork is in a make or break situation. If fallen into the wrong hands, all kinds of printing mayhem could happen. My knees almost gave up on me when I found out the errors on the printed copy of my book. Not only do I have to go buy paper all over again, I have to also reaarange the pages. But luckily, the damage was not as bad as I thought it to be at first.

So, in the end, the book is printed!

All is left is binding. Perfect hard cover binding. Something that is going to cost me RM40. Something I have no control over. Somewhere I have to leave my book for three days without any idea on what has been done to it. Tomorrow. Something and somewhere is tomorrow.

Wish me Luck!




No comments: