Sunday, August 09, 2009

Michael Hui Comedy Talk Show 2009



I haven't been to a stand-up comedy before, have you?

For the weekend, went up to Genting with my family. It seemed that we have been making just such a trip at the average of twice a year. As mentioned, my mom just retired, and she was looking for a short trip some where just to unwind. I suggested her to go catch this Michael Hui Comedy Talk Show in Genting. After much resistance, coz she wanted to go for the Tsai Chin concert instead, and good luck since the ticket to Tsai Chin was sold out, she relented.

I liked Michael Hui. I enjoyed those comedies by the Hui Brothers. Call me old school, but my preference for these canto-pop veterans went way back to my childhood. I was raised in a family where we devour all things Hong Kong. My father used to go to those VCR rental shops just to get those TVB drama series. That's why, up till today, I still prefer TVB dramas and why I enjoy cantonese songs more than others.

I have been to a lot of concerts with my mom. All in the Arena of Stars. We went to watch Sam Hui, the four divas consisting of Francis Yip etc, and Fei Yu Qing. Ugh. The last one was such a horrible bore. Ah, and one more, Mamma Mia, the musical~ awesome! This was at the Budaya centre one thing or another. Hah.

Anyway, back to Michael Hui, I was really looking forward to the show. He did not disappoint, neither did he wow me. His jokes were a little bit on the stereotypical side and sometimes it felt as if we're laughing just for the sake of laughing. One of his better lines was at the very end. He had already taken his bow and left the stage. But people in the arena kept shouting for more, refusing to leave. He then came out again, much to the people's delight. Then he said this, "I am so sorry to say that this is not a concert. So there will not be any encore."

Haha~ funny. But he managed to sing a song. And that's the end. Hopefully, his stint will attract other Hong Kong celebs to come here for a show too. Ah... I would like to go for Jan Lamb's stand up comedy. I have been watching his shows online... very funny! Much more so than Michael Hui's.

One down another to go. Did I say anything about Eason Chan's finale concert to his world tour coming Sunday?


You bet your *** I got the ticket!

Sunday. Eason Chan. Ah.

No comments: