Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Book Fest @ Malaysia 2009

Tonight was the night I fulfilled my annual fantasy. This only happened once a year, a ritual that I have started from last year. After tonight, it was still as satisfying, still as glorifying as ever.

It was the annual Malaysian Book Fest at KLCC!

Well, friends who knew me, would know that I have no qualms buying novels from time to time. But those times when I did buy, I would only buy authors that I liked and was confident that their books were good. I rarely steer away from those few good ones that I like.

One of the reasons I like going to book fairs was because of the discounted price. Besides saving money, I would also dare try some other authors that I have never read before. This was coz if the book turned out to be bad, at least I didn't pay the full price!

On the way to the book fest, I have already calculated mentally how much I could spend. I still need to save up some of my cash this month for utilities. Okay, I told myself, just RMxxx. No more. Self restrain, I must practice.

But within a few feet of the entrance, I could literally SMELL the books. The smell of new books chilled in air-con. There was an extra skip in my step as I entered the realm of my fantasy. The moment I began putting the second book on top of the first book I took, I knew that my budget of RMxxx was not realistic at all. Ah, money, small detail when it came to fulfilling my destiny tonight. Buahahah~

Check out my loot!!



1. 2 Eason Chan CDs at RM9.90 each!!! (like hello, how to resist??!)
2. Live 3-CD of various Hong Kong singers at a concert, RM9.90
3. A Fraction of the Whole, a novel, Steve Toltz
4. By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, Paulo Coelho
5. The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow
6. Keeping Faith, Jodi Picoult
7. The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffennegger
8. Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, John Gray
9. Turn Left, Turn Right, Ji Mi (not sure if the pinyin is right tho)

I am so in love with the idea of so many different books from various genre. Keeping Faith and Time Traveler's Wife were two books that I have been wanting to buy since forever. I intend to read the Time Traveler's Wife before going for the movie version. I do have to admit, Eric Bana's good looks in the trailer did give me the very much needed last prompt to get the book. Good bargain, therefore good buy!

I got myself two 'self-help' books. Zilch told me that Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus was really good. I came across that book at the MPH sales in One U. Stood there for a while reading the first two pages. Immediately I was drawn into the narration. I kept myself from buying then, so I bought it at the book fest. The Last Lecture could be something like Tuesdays with Morrie. I think it was David that told me it was good, and an inspirational read is always a welcome.



25% rebate is definitely better than the usual 20% or 10%.



Bought the second book by Paulo Coelho at 50%. He's a popular author, and I wanted to try one of his books for a long time. But it seemed like such a rip off to get one of his thiner-than-usual-paperback at the normal price. This 50% thing came at a good time.



I have never heard of this author. Never heard of the book. Worst of all, it's from Penguin. Could mean that it's a classic, thus synonymous with *YAWN*... I bought if for the pretty cover! And the first paragraph was not bad. During fairs like this, I'd normally chuck in one completely foreign author. Let's see if the content will live up to the cover.



My CDs, not even exceeding RM30, all three added together.



I pre-ordered their first comic book. KK and Luke are my fav DJs from 988.



It seemed that by pre-ordering, I became their club member by default. I am member #0053. Woohoo~



Ahhh... another huge chunk off my wallet. But no worries, it's month end already. That huge chunck will grow back in no time! Yes, life should be lived always, in the light of optimism.

Ta-da, so long~ Good night!


Could barely keep my eyes open already... *yawn*

7 comments:

陈晓凤 said...

wah..u also got go???i went there saturday...wohz...so many book can got discount~nice neh?

陈晓凤 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Quin said...

haha.. yep, superbly nice! i asked ting2 is u all want to go or not, but she said u went already. so happy I managed to get so many things! =D

kangrui said...

ohhh!!

i see booksss!

quin ah, would you be so kind and.... =))

kangrui said...

and omg, do i see a chinese book?? =P

thats a whole new level, eh?

Quin said...

a chinese book where illustration is the whole idea.. haha.. and if finished it in one night!!

end of the year. ask me again then. when i'm done with them all. =D

kangrui said...

oh well, if thats the case, it doesnt count.

=P