Saturday, August 23, 2008

Week 3

I started off my semester on the wrong foot. My mistake? Having nothing to do. Therefore too much time to think. Of inconsequential stuff. I guess I sort of tipped off a couple of friends and had them worry over me for nothing, really.


Life on campus is picking up. First impressions on lecturers are being altered week by week. All in all, I am very happy over the selection of lecturers that I am having this semester. The loss of one incredible graphic design lecturer from sem 3 has being made up by four really good ones this sem. They are lecturers from Design Heritage, Photography, Computer Graphics and Graphic Design/ Typography.


This is how things happened. You might think you have lost something really good but your lost is made up by the gain of something else. With things like this happening, it makes getting through a bad day easier. For something depressing that happened, you must know that something uplifting is near. One will just have to wait the bad season out.


Assignments are being thrown at us in droves. As of now, they are all still manageable but deadlines are back-to-back.


I am suffering a lack of inspiration. The ideas that I have and the style that I am following are all things that I have done before. I am trying to verve into a different direction but thinking is always easier than executing.

Evelyn said I am having artist's block. Really? I have tonnes of ideas, just as of now, lacking the technical ability to realize them.

These are things and the troubles on my plate so far:

1. Conceptual book We have to design a book from scratch. The subject I have chosen is a biography on Hans Christian Andersen. I opted to illustrate some of his famous stories such as Little Mermaid, Princess on the Pea and the Steadfast Tin Soldier, to name a few. The trouble is I have no idea of the direction that I am going into. Unlike before, I always have a concept first. I don't now. I do not want to do the same thing over again like what I did for my CD packaging. Actually, I already have an idea forming in my mind. But the concept is a bit too big to swallow now. Sigh... hopefully I will find a way out *fingers crossed*

2. Typographic Post Card This project is integrated with the conceptual book. This means I will have to make postcards that promote the book. I love typography but it has never been my forte. I have an idea approved by the lectuerer but I am not sure I like it enough to carry it through.

3. Character Design This has to be fully done in Illustrator. It has to have a concept and a story. By far, this is one assignment I am looking forward to doing. This is maybe due to the fact that I have yet to start on it. Therefore the possibilities are endless, unlike the former two.

So much work, so much time, pitifully little enthusiasm. That's me.

No comments: