Monday, August 11, 2008

Lessons On The Road

She was my joy and frustration for the past few days. Before, I didn't like her very much. She knew it, I knew it. But there was once when I had a really bad day and staying in the room all alone only contributed to more self-pitying thoughts. I opened my room's door and walked out to where she was doing her assignments. At that time, I thought, bad company is better than my own company. It resulted in me putting my troubles aside and listening to her chatting away. It was rather heart-lightening. The past few days, just the two of us, was actually kind of (I can't believe I am actually saying this) enjoyable.

Anyway, my funny little friend went on the whole routine of acquiring a car again. There is one thing I can't fault her but rather find it admiring is that she has a very single-minded pursuit in a matter. The moment she set her mind on something, she will go all out to get it, no matter the circumstances or the amount of money involved. Being a foreigner in this country, she actually managed to find ways to get things she wanted. Ways that I have not thought of to pursue.

Anyway, she managed to rent a VIVA from a Chinese. These are some of the things I have learnt while driving her car on KL roads.

U-turns are so very precious. Not knowing the way to go, I will sometimes doubt my own judgement. God knows the road signs in KL are a mess. One sign will point Cyberjaya in this way and futher down the road, the way to Cyberjaya will disappear from a sign at a cross road. That is why, whenever there is a wrong turn, one can always count on a U-turn just under the overhead bridge. This is something I didn't learn to appreciate driving in Penang.

If only life is like that. But there are no U-turns in life. Taking a U-turn meaning erasing all mistakes and start again from the beginning. It means mistakes are forgotten and we are free to choose another path. One can always take another path in life after making mistakes, but that is not a U-turn. There is no erasing mistakes and start back at square one. You just carry on from where you did wrong, but no turning back. You just keep moving forward.

This is something everyone must have encountered during driving. A dead end. The road is wide and open. You don't know the way so you continued driving blindly, thinking you are merely going in a circle. But then you came to a dead end. The wide road that you think will lead you out is actually a dead end. There are no dead ends in life. Even if there are, you don't allow it to be. Take it instead to be an obstacle that you can move around. Don't let a dead end stop you. There is no such thing.

There is always more than one way to a place. Just like how there is always more than one solution to a problem (take photoshop, for example). That is why when someone wanted to go a different way than yours, just let them be. Don't get frustrated, you might actually learn from them instead. You'll think you know the way better than anyone. Don't be surprise at how fast the teacher will instead turn back to a student.

This happens to me all the time. I will look at normal things that happened everyday and see how it relates to becoming a better person. I even have a comparison between life and putting condensed milk into Milo!

*peace!*



u turn following

No comments: