Saturday, August 23, 2008

Feature 001: Jimmy Pickering

I have many blogs before this. The longest lasting one was the one I had in Friendster. The rest didn't last for more than two or three posts. I hope this one will be different (it already is considering that I am blogging back-to-back here) for I am taking this down a different direction.

Besides blogging only on the mundane happenings of my life, I'd also like this blog to be a recording of my growth as a designer. If my interest persists, I will feature some interesting graphic finds I discover here.
Without further ado, I'd like to share with you my discovery of an ultra-cool artist: Jimmy Pickering!!

I found him in MPH, One Utama. I was doing research for my book in the children's corner. I was trying to look at the illustrations there to get an idea on what I was supposed to do. After some time browsing, a cover of a story book captured my attention. It was a children's book written and illustrated by Jimmy Pickering. On the first look, his style is very similar to the works of Tim Burton.
Looking through his portfolio, I find myself falling in love with his colours. They are all so bright and vibrant. His subjects are all spooky but there is a cheeriness in the colours he applied. It is strange, I know, but I find myself seeking inspiration from his works to illustrate H. C. Andersen's stories.
Below is an artwork of his, titled "Deadman". If you're interested in seeing more of his works, do click on the link I have on the left side under "Fav Design Sites".

No comments: