Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pride of a Graphic Designer

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was my proposal for Design Analysis submitted yesterday. I've thoroughly enjoyed designing the layout for this book though some said it's not necessary. But what the heck. There are like tonnes of group work this sem. I reveled in doing everything on my own here, making my own decisions without having to get the nod from every other person before doing something. I'm not complaining about group work, the groups I got this sem were awesome, but it felt freer to be on my own.

I've chosen this topic because it's a rather personal question for myself. Every emerging designers must have gone through the same thing. Before getting to make something resembling a career, we get approach by friends and relatives. When it's friends, they normally have nothing to pay me with. When it's relatives/family, they'll probably offer at the most RM50. And then I couldn't help but think, really, my work is worth this little? My work's so... for lack of a better word, worthless?

Then there's this one time when I felt like my pride's bigger than this. I didn't want to do anything for free, I want my work to be worth something. And then slowly, I began to change my mind. Really, what credibility do I have to think so highly of my own pride? I didn't have experience, no real work in my portfolio, so basically I have nothing to bring into this game called freelancing.

So now, I help out friends even if they can't afford to pay me anything. My only aim will be to do real work and put them into my port. Besides, I find the interaction with these people when we discuss the work I do for them to be a worthy experience.

However, I think I'll pass those cheap-ass logo designs on some freelancer sites. RM5-10 for one logo? Like, really? And for some people who has a business and can definitely afford to pay, they won't, claiming exposure's good enough. Screw them. Yes, I want exposure, I want experience. But I will not allow myself to be exploited.

So there. I might not have the credibility now. But I know I'm good. Some will beg to differ, but heck, I think confidence is important in improving myself. I do have my pride, it might not be worth much now, but it will be soon.

Of course, no harm in getting my head up in the clouds so long as I have my feet firmly planted on the ground.

4 comments:

Yangy said...

Oh heck, are you trying to spoil our market by designing such a nice layout? =p

Mervin said...

Yes! you are one of a few so far that i have full confidence giving you the tasks. Cheer up! Keep Building your portfolio and show the world what you can do!

Do you know this young Japanese designer named Kenichi Tanaka?
http://www.kenichi-design.com/
he is same age as me. And did a great final year thesis about Japan. Google--> Japan the strange country which is circulating on the internet like mad. Do check him out!

Quin said...

@tham kacau la you.. u already spoiled the market by having a journal as thick as a telephone book. =P

@mervin thanks mervin~

Lianne said...

I want to read your design analysis.