Monday, May 24, 2010

SENSE

We had our mock exhibition design presentation last Friday. I've actually uploaded all these images since last week, but it sure did take me long to actually blog about it. It took us about from.. erm.. lazy to count, but the point is, many weeks to finish this project. This project has been postponed because half the class went to London. That's why it felt like it has been dragged on and on and on with no end. Halfway through this mess, I actually felt dejected and sick over doing the same thing... or rather, procrastinating over the same thing. Most of the design actually only came into fruition the last two weeks prior to presentation. I guess we did everything we could to make this a success, but there are things we could have done better.

This time around, I get to work with the usuals, 41 and Stella. Since we cannot just have three in a group, the lect gave us another two guys to make up our group. I really really like the group combination this time around. Yes, I've worked before in a group with 41 and Stella, but I'd like to think our own experiences during the internship has given each of us a maturity when it comes to our own work. I like how for the first time in a group project, we can each voice out our doubts over the design. It's a great atmosphere to work under where when a person said maybe your design is not what we have in mind, I can either defend my work and hammer sense into their heads or when they are the ones to make sense, conceit and change. With them, I sometimes have qualms and was nervous about showing them my work. As much as maybe sometimes they'll like it, there's always gonna be "...but..." It's all good and fair. This way, we grow as a group and it was an awesome feeling.

Everyone is in charged of something. 41 was the one who determined our design style for her main poster was the one that got approved. From here, she proceeded to design most of the CIS items. Stella was more involved with the packaging design and she herself got her turn in the CIS design when 41 was too weight down by work and had to have her work given out. I myself first designed the masthead and dealt with most of the copy in our work. There's nothing that turned me off more than a good design with grammatical errors. Not even comic sans. Hah! Anyhow, I got my own spin of the CIS items when Stella herself needed to focus on Flash and passed them on to me. It seemed as though no one wanted to do those blasted postcards. It's so cool, knowing everyone have their own part to play and we can rest assured that they will do it well.

I think I log heads most often with 41. She doesn't make sense sometimes and love to make the type as small as possible. Down to 6 points! She thinks I'm too stubborn (I think she thought so, she never said a thing) and love making my type too big, up to 16 points. Dank, it's a poster for goodness sake! There was this one time when we had an argument on a line extension of the masthead. She thought the line should extend directly from the N so that it shows connectivity. I thought there should be a space around the masthead and the line can extend up to a point beyond that space, so that the masthead is not touched for it's sacred. We tossed a point supporting our own stand one at a time at each other, then reiterated the point when it seemed like each other's not getting it. All this time, Stella was wandering about fanning herself due to the hot weather.

We then settled the case not by winning the argument/discussion, but by tossing a coin. The genius Stella suggested it. 41 chose tails. Heads, I won. Not that it was a satisfying win or anything. (you might be thinking, it's just a line! it's not! it's... it's.. it's... A line. not JUST.)

The presentation went very well. A few burps here and there, but I think we did good. The most satisfying part of the day was Ken Goh commenting, "It was a very good presentation." And when we went up to him as a group by the end of it all, he said, "Good job." And heck, it was a tough order getting that compliment from him. I was buoyed by his compliment for a long time. I think that was also the reason I could do four rounds of Batu Caves steps the next day. Hah!

Photobucket
Our masthead for the exhibition. It's an exhibition of perfume-inspired art.


Photobucket

Photobucket

These are main posters that 41 did.

Photobucket

The teaser poster that I am very proud of. Haha... a line. =D

Photobucket

Test card design that Stella did.

Ooo... lo and behold, the layout design I did in Photoshop! It's not up to par with those one can do with a 3D software, but I am damn proud of my first attempt at it. No fancy software, just a good sense of perspective, space and light. (at least i like to think so. must remain humble... be humble.... so is it good or what? =D)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That's all for this long post. There are tonnes of group work this semester. I might complain and whine and all, but I am really pleased with the work we did as a group this time. Yea~!

3 comments:

Yangy said...

Too bad I missed your presentation that day. =( Present to me again when you are free. XD

Quin said...

ahh.. coz u went to become superman is it? =P changing into ur superhero costume. haha!

Yangy said...

I prefer Spiderman XP