Monday, May 10, 2010

My Mom

Photobucket

It was Mother's Day yesterday, 9 May. Coincidentally, Mom got back from Europe on the same day. That's why I went over to KLIA to meet her on her transit to Penang. I haven't seen her for about a month, and we were together there in KLIA for about three hours. It'll be another month before I'll see her again back home. By then, I'll be welcoming my new niece to the family!

What have you done yesterday to show your appreciation for your mother? A lot of people I know are shy or rather, felt awkward, in professing their appreciation and love either verbally or physically. When they were asked when was the last time they hugged their mom, they'll give me this bug-eyed look, as if the thought was never to be contemplated. I understand why they felt that way. I figured as we all grew up, hugging and kissing our own mother seemed like such an embarrassing thing to do. I guarantee that if anyone were to show these affections to their moms out of the blue, their moms' reaction will be also another bug-eyed look, saying 'What happened to you?' or 'What do you want?'. However, I can also guarantee that beneath all these outward appearance of confusion, these moms are also feeling warm and secretly happy.

My mom's the most important figure in my life. She's the source of all my material needs, giving me all the things I want if she could afford them. Of all the things my mother has given me, the one I treasure the most is her trust in me. With this trust, I am allowed to come pursue my studies in LUCT and to shape my own life away from her. She has never understood what is it that I am doing right now. She will never understand how I am going to make a living with graphic design. Despite these, she still let me.

For my batch of friends, most of them are graduating soon, in the coming month or so. So many have told me of their plans to pursue a career or a masters overseas. Some of them are free to go, without obligations and a care in the world, and some are tied down by family responsibilities no matter how much they want to fly. I am lucky enough to belong in the former group because of my mom. I believe no matter how far I want to take my dreams, I'll still have to be deeply rooted in my home. Just like a great big tree with long branches that stretch out into the skies, it'll have to have big roots that dig deep into the earth that'll give it the support and nourishment to grow. For me, my family is my root. It is only with my mom's permission and trust that I can reach far away into the skies.

Before this I've been taking it for granted that I am my own person, free to do anything and go anywhere on my own. Little did I realise I am only allowed these liberations because of my mom.


ps: I've just received this sms from my mom: "First time in my life I am late for work coz I overslept." LOL!!

pps: As much as I love my mom, I cannot stand her knowing about this blog and reading all about my thoughts. Random strangers I don't know can read about my innermost thoughts. But not my mom. Hah. Go figure.



Yesterday also marked the fifth anniversary of the saddest day in my life. I love you too, Loutao. =)

No comments: