Sunday, May 22, 2011

The W Word

Work can kill the passion of what you are doing if you're not careful.
It's the repetition and ritual. Doing the same things over and over again, to a point when I'm really tired and I'll question myself, "What am I doing here?"

I'm telling myself it's still worth it.

I listened to this radio segment and the deejay was talking on the topic of leading the kind of life you want. There was this one part I couldn't help but agree. Despite all the fall backs, disappointments and doubts one might encounter, it's important to ask yourself every now and then, if whatever you're doing is leading you to the life you want.

Really, I don't know what kind of life I want. Not concretely anyways, does anyone?
All I know is if work still brings a thrill to me when I'm beat and tired, it's okay, I'm still on the right track.

Work. Sounds so much like an obligation, a responsibility. Something everyone crawls out of bed in the morning for. It's what makes Monday blue. It's what people trade their soul and passion for in exchange for bread on the table (gawd... so melodramatic).

One of my friends from secondary school just got engaged. She blogged about the whole proposal and I couldn't help but feel so touched and envious at the same time. It was the most perfect and wonderful proposal I've heard of. It's not right to compare lives, of course, but I can't help but let one of those moments creep up on me and ponder.

Surely life is supposed to be more than just work?

3 comments:

adrienne said...

2 jobs, 6 days a week - sometimes I find myself with so little time for other things.. including housework. I enjoy the restaurant work - I like working when I feel productive, often regardless of however repetative the task is. I'm not a good enough engineer yet so honestly, I'm not enjoying my work here too much. (for now!)

Ahh that was quite a fairytale proposal ain't it? She's pretty smart to leave clever hints and he's smart to pick them up :) For me, I don't know what I want most of the time, so I guess it makes it much harder for the guy! Ha!

Hope you'd get the suprises you want soon and continue to keep your passion in art alive. We're new in the workforce, still early to worry about 'the true meaning of life'. Not really in our culture to do so this soon! Hahha! At least I'd like to think so anyways :)

Have a good day!

square said...

Heya, just hang in there yeah? The first year is never easy, and all of us are in the process of knowing ourselves and discovering the lives we want to live.

Work is an obligation, but what makes work meaningful is when you know you have contributed to the mankind. So continue with your passion, and remember the lives that you're going to impact on the way with your work and passion.

Yangy said...

I believe you can surely live a larger life. Perhaps we can take some quality time to share about working life, yeah? Don't waste this one year of "housemateship" to learn from each other. =p

And about relationship stuff, probably can share with you what I have been doing personally all these while too.